Friday, February 22, 2008

Poem of the Day: Edna St. Vincent Millay

February 22, 2008
I will post poems here that may or may not be on the suggested reading list for the AP exam. They will all be (in my opinion) relevant and part of an overall canon for you to incorporate into your personal body of knowledge.


Today is the birthday of Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892-1950).
Besides being a poet, wild woman, and literary icon, she translated the French Symbolist poet Baudelaire, who was an influence of Oscar Wilde & the Decadents.

See how everything in literature is connected?

Here are two of her poems.







First Fig

    MY CANDLE burns at both ends;
    It will not last the night;
    But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
    It gives a lovely light!
Second Fig

S
AFE upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

No comments: